Last modified: June 22, 2018
Archived versions may be accessed here.
This information and the privacy statement below are for our corporate website, AppNexus.com.
If you have any questions about the information we collect on AppNexus.com or this policy, you can contact us here.
For the AppNexus Platform Privacy page which covers our use of information in connection with our advertising services only, click here.
For the AppNexus Applicant and Candidate Privacy page which covers our use of data received in connection with career opportunities from applicants and candidates, click here.
WHY DO WE COLLECT INFORMATION FROM YOU WHEN YOU VISIT APPNEXUS.COM? We collect information to provide a better and more relevant experience to individuals visiting our website whether those individuals are our clients, prospective clients or simply interested in learning more about our company, the services we offer, events we're hosting or a career opportunity with us.
COLLECTION, USE, SHARING AND RETENTION OF DIRECTLY IDENTIFIABLE PERSONAL INFORMATION Collection
- We collect directly identifiable personal information through this website when you optionally provide it to us, for example through a "Contact Us" form, in connection with a job application or from a customer creating an account.
- The information we collect may include name, address, phone number, email address, or any other information provided to us by you.
- We use this information for business purposes including marketing to our clients and prospective clients (e.g. sending newsletters or other promotional emails), responding to general inquiries or customer support requests, and in the course of providing services to customers.
- We do not share your information with third parties for them to use it for their own promotional purposes.
- We may share your information with our subsidiaries, affiliates, and third party service providers working at our instruction, such as an email service provider, hosting provider or data center.
- Third parties who provide services to, or on behalf of, us are authorized to use your information only as necessary to provide services to, or on behalf of, us.
- We may disclose your information to third parties when we reasonably believe we are obligated to do so by law, and in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding suspected or actual prohibited activities, including but not limited to fraud and situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person.
- We may transfer information to a successor entity in connection with a corporate merger, consolidation, sale of assets, bankruptcy, or other corporate change.
- If you create an account on our website, we will retain your information for as long as your account is active with us or for as long as you are receiving our services. After you have closed your account with us or ceased to use our services, we may retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
- Otherwise, unless otherwise specified, we retain the information collected through the website indefinitely or until we delete the information pursuant to a request from the subject of the information.
- You may choose to stop receiving our newsletters or marketing emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in the emails or by contacting us here.
COLLECTION, USE, SHARING AND RETENTION OF DIGITAL IDENTIFIER INFORMATION
Collection, Use and Sharing
Digital Identifier Information We Collect. When you visit our website, we collect certain information about you and your device that, without additional information, does not directly identify you (for purposes of this Privacy Statement "Digital Identifier Information"). Some of this information (including for example IP addresses and certain unique device identifiers), may identify a particular computer or device, and may be considered "personal data" in some jurisdictions, including the European Union.
Information Collected Automatically. As is true of most websites, we gather certain Digital Identifier Information automatically. This information may include Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data to analyze trends in site usage and administer the site (e.g. managing user sessions and detecting and preventing malicious behavior on the site).
Our cookies and web beacons are set and read for the following purposes:
- Personalization of your navigation. These cookies enable us to recognize you and remember any information you enter during your navigation on our website (such as language choice, country you are browsing from, or browser type). This makes your visit on our website easier as we don't ask you the same information several times during your navigation.
Third party cookies and web beacons may be placed on our website for the following purposes:
- Our Marketing Automation. We use Marketo to collect information voluntarily provided to us by prospective clients on our site including through information requests forms and event and webinar sign-up forms. You may request that we cease sending you any marketing communications (including by email) at any time by notifying us here or following any “unsubscribe” instructions included in any marketing communications which we send to you.
Retention We retain Digital Identifiers collected through the website as long as reasonably necessary. We retain directly identifiable data as long as reasonably necessary unless otherwise specified, or until we delete the information pursuant to a request from the subject of the directly identifiable information.
INFORMATION ABOUT CHILDREN This site is not intended for, or designed to attract, children. We do not collect information from any person we actually know is an individual under the age of 16.
- AppNexus uses generally accepted industry security standards to protect information collected on our website.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to information collected on our website to employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
- Please note that no transmission or storage of information, however, can ever be guaranteed to be completely secure, though we take all reasonable precautions to protect against security incidents.
European Data Subject Rights
- If you are a resident of a country in the European Economic Area ("EEA"), you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the collection, processing, and use of your personal data. We process this data as necessary to further the legitimate interests of our company while ensuring appropriate privacy protections.
- As a resident of a country in the EEA, with respect to your personal data you have the right to: (i) request access and obtain a copy of your personal data, (ii) request rectification or erasure; (iii) to restrict the processing of your personal data; and (iv) if applicable, to data portability. In certain circumstances, you may also have the right to object to the processing of your personal data.
- If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please reach out to us here.
- Finally, as a resident of the EEA, you have the right to lodge a complaint about our processing of personal data with a European Data Protection Authority. For contact details of your relevant local Data Protection Authority, please see here.
EU-US Privacy Shield Principles and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Principles
- If you believe that AppNexus holds information that would allow us to correct, amend or delete inaccurate information about you or that information about you that has been processed in violation of the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield's Principles or Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Principles, please contact us here.
- We will seek to provide access to such data, but will not be able to do so when the burden or expense of providing access would be disproportionate to the risks to the individual's privacy in the case in question, or where the rights of persons other than the individual would be violated.
- You may request that we cease sending you any marketing communications (including by email) at any time by notifying us here or following any "unsubscribe" instructions included in any marketing communications which we send to you.
- We display testimonials from satisfied clients on the website in addition to other endorsements. We will obtain our client's permission before we place these testimonials on the Website. If you are a client who wishes to update or delete your testimonial, please contact us here.
Advertising on the AppNexus Platform
- For choices relating to advertising on the AppNexus Platform, see the AppNexus Platform Privacy page.
Global Operations and Privacy Shield
- AppNexus is a global company headquartered in the United States with data centers located in the United States, Europe and Asia. If you access appnexus.com please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored and processed by us and our affiliates in our facilities in the United States and other countries (including in Singapore, Japan, Australia and Brazil where our global affiliates have offices) and by those third parties with whom we may share your information.
- These countries (including the United States) may not provide an adequate level of data protection for your information (as determined by the European Commission) or have data protection or other laws as comprehensive as those in your country. We will, however, ensure that where AppNexus group companies or third party service providers receive information about you outside of the EEA, appropriate protections are in place under European data protection legislation (which includes either Model Clauses or Privacy Shield compliance).
- For example, in order to ensure that your information is adequately protected when transferred outside of the EEA, AppNexus has entered into inter-company "model clause" agreements and other adequacy arrangements with other various entities located outside the EEA with whom we share your information. A copy of such agreements is available on request.
- Additionally, if we transfer personal information from the European Union to the United States or Switzerland to the United States, we comply with the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework as set forth by the US Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information transferred from the European Union and Switzerland to the United States, respectively. AppNexus has certified to the Department of Commerce that it adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, and to view our certification, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov/.
- For any questions or complaints regarding our compliance with either the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework, please contact us here. If AppNexus does not resolve your complaint, you may submit your complaint free of charge to ICDR/AAA, AppNexus' designated independent dispute resolution provider. Under certain conditions specified by the principles of the EU-US and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield Frameworks, respectively, you may also be able to invoke binding arbitration to resolve your complaint. AppNexus is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the FTC. If AppNexus shares the personal data of an individual located in the EU or Switzerland with a third-party service provider that processes the data solely on AppNexus' behalf, then AppNexus will be liable for that third party's processing of that data in violation of the Principles, unless AppNexus can prove that it is not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
What Happens if this Privacy Statement is Changed? Check this page for changes. We may change this privacy statement at any time. If we make changes that, in our sole discretion, are material, those changes will not be applied to information collected prior to the date the changes went into effect.
If you have questions about privacy on appnexus.com, you can send us a message here.
If you are located in the EEA, you can confidentially contact our Data Protection Officer here.
You can also contact us by post using the details provided below: AppNexus Inc. Attn: Chief Privacy Counsel 28 West 23rd Street Floor 4 New York, NY 10010 USA
Important note:The data controller of EEA residents' personal data is AppNexus Inc.